I had a love/hate relationship going with this painting, and had to let it chill for several months before I could return and see what was bothering me about it. I loved the lower garden effects and colors, although they seemed a little too bright and intense. The top part of the painting was filled with dark buildings, their shapes too stark with harsh, cold edges.
I decided to take a brush with a wash of blue, to tone the entire painting. Immediately the lower garden plants were nicely subdued, yet still fairly vibrant. The buildings at the top took a dramatic change though, displaying softer edges and a misty fog that seems to engulf them.
I added a few more light buildings in the background to amplify the depth of the scene. Then came more of the misty light blue haze to further obscure the background in a mist. Now I’m happy with the results.
So I’m back to my thoughts of “all is not lost” when I have a painting I think just needs a few important changes that might create the dramatic overall difference. I’ll remember the “mist effect” for my future creations now.